Pages

Tuesday, March 27, 2012

Having an exercise plan


Maybe running isn’t for you.  It’s okay, I understand.   There are other options for exercising at home even if you have small children, some of which we’ll explore this week.  First, though, you need to have a plan.
The hardest part is finding time.   If you’re waiting for the perfect time to exercise, it will never come.  Not ever.   There’s always something to do besides exercising.   You need to just look at your schedule and decide on the time, and then make it a priority.
The best time for me to exercise is after I put Spitfire down for a nap. I tried exercising a few times when he was awake, and he thought it was the funniest thing.  Every time I bent over he climbed on my back.  When I stood up he would cling to my legs.  I tried to get him to do the exercises with me, but he thought it would be better to use me as a jungle gym.   
Instead I made it a habit to put on my exercise clothes the minute after I put him down.   I went straight downstairs and got to work, ignoring all of the other tasks that were screaming my name.   Exercise is just as important as those dirty dishes, maybe even more important.   Besides, a workout only takes thirty minutes, and afterwards I always have more energy to do the other stuff.
Once you’ve figured out a time, stick to it.   If someone calls wanting to have a play date, tell them you’re busy for the next half-hour or so.  Better yet, don’t answer the phone.  Or the door.   Protect this time, or the exercise won’t happen.   And if you are trying to lose weight, it needs to happen!
The next step of the plan sounds like medieval torture, but it is necessary.   Take your measurements.   Really, don’t skip this.  Get the flat measuring tape out of your sewing box, and then get out your calendar.   Under today’s date, write out the measurements for the following areas:
*Upper arm (where it is the biggest)
*Bust (don’t squish)
*Chest (measure right under your breasts)
*Waist (find the skinniest part, and measure there.  If there                        
   isn't a skinny part, use your belly button as the guide)
*Hips (measure where they are the biggest)
*Thighs (where they are the biggest)
*Knees (sounds silly, I know, but you’d be surprised)
*Calves
I feel your pain.  I’m cringing as I’m typing this.  Just write them down, along with today’s weight, and try to forget about it.   Next month, do it again, and it will be exciting!  All of the changes will make you want to do a little dance.   Sometimes our bodies are stubborn in losing pounds on the scale, but the differences measurements prove progress is being made.
Tomorrow we’ll talk about some home exercising options.  Aren’t you excited?  :)

2 comments: