Pages

Wednesday, March 21, 2012

Give Running a Try!


It seems like people either love the idea of running, or they hate it.   I’ve heard a lot of, “I could never . . .”  when I mention that my husband and I have taken to jogging.    I was in that camp, figuring I couldn’t run either.   The idea of distance running intrigued me, yet I was pretty sure the sport was relegated to people who enjoyed torturing themselves and ate only raw nuts and apples to survive.  Not only that, but I have exercised-induced asthma, and the few times I joined my husband on a jog after we were first married, I felt like my lungs were going to explode.   
Thing was, I decided to lose weight, and that meant exercise.   Now, if you’ve read any weight-loss magazines in the last couple of decades, you’ve read a hundred times that you will lose more weight if you pick an exercise that you enjoy.   Usually, the same article will proffer a list of fun sports to choose from.   My picks would be ice skating, hockey or volleyball.   All expensive options, and not very practical when I have two young boys with me.   No, I needed an exercise that was free, and something I could do with the kids in tow.   
I watched contestants on The Biggest Loser, of varying ages and physical conditions, train to run a marathon.   Then I found out a couple of my cousins had begun training for a marathon.    I remembered my roommate in college trained and ran a marathon.   I realized I was limiting myself.  If they could, why couldn’t I?  
So I tried.  I found a running program online (couch to 5k), that started out super slow,  each day running a little more until after 9 weeks I could run a 5k.     The first day of the program says to run 30 seconds, then walk 90 seconds for a total of 20 minutes.   I couldn’t run to the end of my very short block without being completely winded.   But I didn’t give up.   I kept thinking, “I can do anything for thirty seconds,”  and I did!  
Since then, I’ve run several 5ks, and I’m convinced that running is something that most people CAN do.  In our last race, there were several runners in their seventies, and there were three runners in their eighties that completed running the entire three miles, and that was a relatively small race.  Of course, some people have injuries that prevent them from running,  but if you are healthy, it is worth a try.   There are so many benefits!
Running helps you lose weight quickly.  It requires a lot of energy which burns off calories quicker then any other exercise except for cross-country skiing.  Its also good for heart health and lowers your blood pressure,  helping to prevent heart attacks and diabetes.  I’ve even read that it helps prevent breast cancer in women.   The most compelling benefit for me, however, is the effect it has on your mood.  When you run, endorphins are released making you happier, more focused, and less stressed.   If you are prone to depression, running keeps your moods more even and upbeat. 
So, how about giving it a try?   All it takes is thirty minutes, three times a week, and in 9 weeks you will be able to run three miles.  We started the couch to 5k program  over this week, because our Little Man wants to run with us.   Its something we can do together as a family.   We’d love to have you join us!

No comments:

Post a Comment