Pages

Monday, February 27, 2012

Shining Light



I’ve been sick this past week.   Not sick like the crummy cold I experienced the week before, but really sick.    One minute everything was perfectly normal,  and the next I breathed in pain.   Belts tightened around my chest, and there was pain around my heart with every coming breath.  I was dizzy, sure I was going to faint.  As time went on I felt worse, like a I had been run over by a truck.   Something was wrong.
Urgent care was a maze of breathing treatments and x-rays, and I came out with a diagnosis of asthmatic bronchitis.    I spent the better part of a week in bed.  After a full course of antibiotics, I felt tremendously better, though walking up the stairs still had me panting like I had run a marathon.  
I needed to go to the store, and I was somewhat apprehensive about taking little Spitfire with me.   I figured I had enough stamina to go in and get the item I needed, but I didn’t have the energy to lift him into the cart, and was not sure what I would do if he wasn’t on his best behavior.
When we got to the store, I knelt down and looked into little man’s eyes.  “I really need your help.   I’ve not been able to walk too fast lately, and I need you to hold my hand while we are in the store.   That would help me walk better.”
Spitfire stood tall, determination in his eyes.   He grabbed my hand and walked me in the store, smiling and humming a little tune.    The trip only lasted a few minutes, but he didn’t deviate from the job at hand.  As we walked back to the car I leaned down and kissed the top of his sweaty head.
“Thank you, buddy.  You did a great job helping me walk.”
He looked straight ahead, shrugging his shoulders slightly.   “I know Mama.   I’m letting my little light shine.”
Those few words were a balm to my soul.   God is working on little Spitfire’s heart. I praise God for giving me that moment, that glimpse of my little guy becoming a shining light for Him.
Let your light shine before men in such a way that they may see your good works, and glorify your Father who is in heaven.  Matthew 5:16


5 comments: