Pages

Monday, January 16, 2012

On Losing Weight . . .


Last year I finally got it right.    For years I was stuck in the trap of yo-yo dieting, gaining and losing, never really winning the battle.    I tried every thing-- no-carb, low-carb, shakes to replace meals, hormone balancing diets, the low-blood-sugar plan, and numerous celebrity no-fail eating plans.   My biggest success came from joining Weight Watchers (WW), though it took three attempts for the plan to finally come together.  After a ton a research, and an ample amount of sweat and tears, I’ve finally accomplished my goal of losing the extra weight.   I’m by no means an expert,  but I feel I’ve learned a lot, and hope some of my discoveries encourage others on their journey.
You may have heard that losing weight is a 50/50 battle,  50% being nutrition, and 50% being exercise.    That just is not true in my own experience, and it doesn’t seem to be the case of others I have witnessed sitting through months of WW meetings.    Nutrition and exercise are the tools that will get you to your goal, but the battle is one of the mind, and in some, the spirit.  If you don’t have certain things worked out in your mind, other tools may help you lose weight in the short term, but won’t result in a long-lasting change.
So how can you prepare your mind for successful weight loss?   The first step of the process for me was taking a realistic look at my habits.   I had to examine the excuses I was believing about my weight, and then hold them up to light of the truth.  This wasn’t an overnight process, but rather a slow dawning that came in bits and pieces.  
In the posts to come, I’ll share some of the other things I’ve learned about motivation, food addiction, tips to staying on track, food and exercise plans,  and we’ll even explore the connection to food and faith.    Along the way I’d love to hear your thoughts and experiences as well, so leave a comment!   

No comments:

Post a Comment