Pages

Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Losing Weight 2- THE MOMENT


BEFORE: December 2010

At Weight Watchers meetings, there is a fairly big emphasis on identifying the moment you decided to make a change.   We needed to articulate the one thing that stopped us in our tracks, and made us realize that we couldn’t go another day without doing something about our weight.    
This “aha” moment might come after not being able to keep up with your kids, or from getting winded after climbing a small flight of stairs.   Maybe its when you had to ask for a seatbelt extension on an airplane, or being told you exceed the weight limit for a favorite ride at an amusement park.    For a lot of people, seeing a picture of yourself will do the trick.
Last year, my husband and I decided to take our boys to the zoo.   We took a lot of cute pictures of the kids with animals, and at one point we handed the camera to our 6 year old to take a picture of Mama and Daddy together.   When I got home and saw the shot, I was in shock.   I didn’t recognize myself.  The biggest difference was in my face, which was fully rounded compared to how I pictured myself.   All at once a myriad of thoughts hit me-- comments my kids had made about my fat stomach, an old acquaintance asking when my baby due when I wasn’t pregnant, being out of breath after carrying my three year old up the stairs, but most of all how I was depleted of energy and motivation to do anything productive.   I knew right then that things had to change.   I wanted to be a good Mama to my kids, to be active and most of all, healthy.   I signed up for Weight Watchers the next day.
There are so many people out there who complain about their weight and say they are going to start a new diet on Monday.   For years, I was one of those people.   Sure, I wanted to lose weight, but there is a huge difference between just saying you want to lose weight and hitting rock bottom and deciding enough is enough.   
You see, this “aha” moment isn’t just a time for realization; its a place that signifies an end and a beginning all at once, and it is HUGE for lasting weight loss.     At that moment there is a mental shift, and you can’t stand how things are any more.    You make a decision, once and for all, to end the unhealthy habits that have gotten you to that point.   At the same time, you vow to yourself to start to make the right decisions for your health, no matter how hard it gets.   You need this moment to draw motivation from when things start getting tough, and they will get tough.   But you can do this.   You will do this!

Have you had an aha moment yet?   Please share!


After:  January 2012




2 comments: