Pages

Monday, February 6, 2012

Oops! Now what?



I blew it yesterday.   You see, I made those chicken wings, and only had a few, but there were delicious dips, chips and cake.   Oh, and that French bread I decided to make at the last minute to go with the spinach cheese spread.   It turned out so good!   Golden crispy crust on the outside, and soft and flavorful on the inside.    Bread, my weakness.   Oh, and the cake. . .  but I digress.
What’s a girl to do when she eats way too many calories all at once?    That is a very important question, more important then you might think.   That next step, the step she takes after completely blowing it (and at some time or another, everyone blows it), defines whether this losing weight thing is for real.   
Resiliency is the name of the game.   Everyone messes up, but a lot of people use it as an excuse to go back to old habits.   Don’t let that happen!    The very next meal you can make a change.   The very next thing you put in to your mouth can be a healthy choice.   
So, if you eat too much at breakfast, that doesn’t mean the whole day is a loss.  Don’t even take time to think about feeling guilty, because lunch is only a few hours away, and presents a new opportunity to make the right choices.     Later on, when the emotions are gone you can look back to that breakfast and use it as tool to prepare better for next time.  
If you hold on to that guilt of eating too much, what will happen?  If you are an emotional eater like me, you’ll be going to the pantry to look for some chocolate, thinking, “What’s the difference, I’ve blown it already!”     It’s the faulty thinking that gets us.   
If you mess up, admit it, accept it, and move on.   Then use the mistake to your advantage next time.
Next year for Superbowl, I’m cutting up a ton a veggies to go with those dips.    A little cake isn’t so bad, but baked fruit makes a yummy dessert too.   I think I’ll keep the bread, but I don’t mind trading in the chicken wings for a grilled chicken breast.     It’s all about choices.  And we can make the right ones, starting now.

No comments:

Post a Comment